Heat the vegetable oil in a medium sized frying pan and brown the bacon pieces, stirring regularly to prevent sticking.
Tip into the stoneware bowl. Add the carrots, celery, onions, leeks, green beans, garlic, herbs, puree, tomatoes and stock and stir well.
Cover and cook on High for 4-5 hours until the vegetables are almost tender. Stir in the tinned beans and spaghetti pasta, cover and cook for a further 30 minutes until the pasta is cooked through.
Add the shredded cabbage or spinach and allow to wilt, before serving piping hot in bowls dusted with grated parmesan.
- 300g smoked bacon, diced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 5 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 6 sticks celery, diced
- 2 large onions, peeled and diced
- 2 large leeks, cut into slices
- 100g whole green beans, cut
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 3 sprigs rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 2.4 litres of vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 x 400g cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 x 400g red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 100g spaghetti pasta, snapped into bite sized pieces
- 100g savoy style cabbage finely shredded or spinach leaves
- Salt and pepper
- Grated parmesan